Welcome to the Quiet Feather blog. Read more about artists featured in the magazine and leave comments. Click here to find out more about the magazine, or click here to email us

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Satellites

RUSSIA. Altai Territory. 2000. Villagers collecting scrap from a crashed spacecraft, surrounded by thousands of white butterflies.

"Satellites" is a photographic journey through the scattered enclaves, unrecognized mini-states, and other isolated communities that straddle the southern borderlands of the former USSR. The itinerary goes through places such as Transdniester, a breakaway republic in Eastern Europe, Abkhazia, an unrecognized country on the Black Sea, the religiously conservative Ferghana Valley in Central Asia, the spacecraft crash zones between Russia and Kazakhstan, and the Jewish Autonomous Region of Far Eastern Russia.


It may seem silly, but I think that part of the reason I so love the image above is that it reminds me of the light and landscapes in Princess Mononoke:

1 Comments:

Blogger Taissa said...

I want to go to Central Asia. If that's where the Altai is.
I want to ride a horse up a river valley into the mountains. On the first morning a herdsman will wave to me from the other side of the valley. On the second morning I will catch a glimpse of a wolf, or perhaps just a fox, trotting over a ridge. On the third day I will reach the snowline. The next day I will turn round and take the horse back to its owner. Even in my daydream it seems unlikely that I would have a horse of my own.

10/17/2006 11:33:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home